Monday, May 31, 2010

My Buddy

 Today I shall introduce you to my Buddy. He is my first born. He came into this world five weeks premature. We weren't ready for first few weeks that followed his arrival. It took the medical profession three days of avoiding us before telling us that he is Down syndrome. Immediately there after social workers tried to convince us to give him up into social service care. It was standard practice to do this in this situation. We were told it we should do this because of his condition. It would be very difficult to manage him especially in his teenage years. The pressure was huge. We chose to believe they were wrong. We were trusted with a special child to raise and we chose to view it that way. So once I recovered from the two separate near death postpartum bleeds that ensued, I was allowed home with Buddy at my side.
 My sister became an advocate for our well being from the beginning. She was there right from his birth. It was a good feeling. He was accepted by my closest family and that meant a lot. We treated Buddy with the same enthusiasm as anyone would with their first born. He grew in leaps and bounds because he had lots of affection and stimulation. What you don't know is that Buddy helped us to be pioneers of a new generation of acceptance of special needs infants into the main stream of local communities. He is extra special Kleinste Motte.

9 comments:

  1. this is a wonderful story, he is very handsome and I know you love him. I have had friends with downs children and all of the children were very specail indeed. friendly and loving and unlike most children, they were kind and never knowling hurt anyones feelings. thank you for sharing your buddy with us. God bless you and him and your family. you did what god would have you do and i am so glad that now there is more awareness than when buddy was born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved meeting Buddy!! Thanks for introducing him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buddy, Buddy, Buddy....finally we meet.
    I have strolled with you along the pond, and rode on the new green cycle while your mom has explored and conquered the world of Blogging.

    Kudos to you for having an extraordinary mother, and to your mother, for having a fantastic you.

    Heidi, thanks for introducing us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for introducing Buddy. What a wonderful and loving family he came into!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buddy is so blessed to have been born into your family and I know you feel the same way about him. I have a niece that is austistic and she is one of the most loving and loved people in our small family. I know Downs Syndrome babies are very special too and bring a lot of love to any family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I understand who Buddy is, and understand how fortunate that you have each other. I have a sneaky suspicion that he gives as much to you as you to him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a handsome first born Buddy is. I bet he would be a great companion on long walks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buddy has an angelic expression. I am sure he brings you great joy. Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very good post. Say to Buddy for me and let him know that I said he is special and that he is special because he has you. A true blessings from Heaven...hugs/M

    ReplyDelete