Wednesday, August 25, 2010

How Nutty? Ugh!

Since hazelnuts are a favourite of mine I naturally gravitate to chocolate bars that include them. I figure that's a natural outcome, though I will gladly eat the peanut kind or the almond if they are the only alternate. But there's a limit to what I'm willing to I will eat coated in chocolate.
Imagine how I felt when I bought a Ritter Sport bar with hazelnuts. My anticipation was so high that I immediately ripped the packaging open, broke off a piece and savoured it. Sort of??
But something wasn't quite right. The usual tender, juicy nut coated with yummy chocolate felt dry and brittle on my tongue. Yet there was no hint of a stale or unpleasant flavour. Weird. I chewed on a bit but something bothered me. Curious to find a reason, I decided to look at the chocolate bar remaining inside the wrapper. I needed to determine the cause of my disappointment. Here's what I saw.
Clearly visible was a creature that had nibble on this bar and left it's trail of chocolate covered feces and itself. I guess the chocolate did it in? And what kind of bug was it? What nationality? Clearly it had hitched a free ride but it's outcome wasn't a "flavourable" one. Ha ha ha...
I have a low tolerance for any kind of bug protein especially once I have discovered it visually! I could not eat chocolate covered bugs knowingly. It's a brain thing. UGH!!!
The decision to abandon eating this bar was a no brainer!
Though I'm sure that we eat all sorts of invisible little parasites, some even good for us, I prefer not to clearly see them Kleinste Motte.

P.S I'm sending the bar and wrapper back to Ritter Sport so they can send me a fresh one, I hope.

11 comments:

  1. YIKES, no bug protein for me either, although i once knew a real nut that ate chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers, he bought them in a tin container and actually OFFERED me one. NO was my answer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gross, that would make me not want anything like that for quite a while. Yes we've all eaten our share without knowing it, but when you find it, oh gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now see in the US you could sue the manufacturer and the settlement place you in the lap of luxury for the remainder of your life... or maybe just get a lifetime supply of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to get the address off the bar and send the photo to them. You might end up with a dozen bars. Hopefully not all the same.

    Maybe you could tempt the neighbor kids to sample them for you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It 's a company in Germany so it may be tricky to reach. There's a facebook site but I don't really know how to post in a way that will be correct and useful in this case.

    Robert I'm still struggling to recover our fire loss. I don't have much faith in law suits. I had a chance to sue the doctor from the ER that sent me home in the 24 hour window of my retinal detachment which was just a partial at the time.My own opthamologist found the surgeon that helped me.The outcome was brilliant so why sue?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kleinste Motte. I would never want chocolate covered nuts again, ever. Well, maybe not ever..haa. Wish I had some right now!

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh YUK.... Sent chills through me.... I'm so sorry... Glad you sent it back to Ritter Sport... Hope they send you several Chocolate Hazelnut bars to make up for the hastle you went through.... Yes---we probably eat all kinds of 'stuff' --but I don't want to know it... ha

    Cute post...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I say but you have just described my worst nightmare. I hate bugs and I love chocolate. And the combination of the two is kind of disgusting..at least to me and I think you too!!! I am not a fan of chocolate covered bugs...even when it is considered a cultural delight. I am sorry your coveted dessert was a bust! P.S. thanks for following me again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! I've never had this happen and I sure hope it doesn't. Good thing you found it before you got to eat the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this would put me off eating chocolate bars for a while. I do think though that the company would appreciate hearing about this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ewww! I think that happened to me once upon a time, but I've blocked out the memory. I think you are brave to even WANT to try another one of these!!!

    ReplyDelete