Thursday, August 19, 2010

Berries to Trust

Today I wondered where the blueberries I was eating came from. They have been on produce shelves all year. Since it's summer I thought I would try to buy locally grown. The package said product of Canada, packaged by Lally Farms Inc. It's in Abbostsford B.C. The distributor is SunntRidge Farm, Florida, USA. So why am I pondering about this? My question is one of curiosity. I know that nations, even localities have their own agricultural laws, What laws apply to produce crossing various borders and companies along the way? There is an organization known as Global G.A.P. <http://www.globalgap.org/cms/that growers are to voluntarily allow for audits of their growth methods. In theory that seems good but when maximum profit is added into the equation I wonder. What we can't see we are asked to trust. Lally Farms recently received an award from B.C. hydro for applying hydro's method of maximum energy savings in the farm's cooling areas. Is Lally Farm applying the cost saving to create safer berries? My eyes are counting on it. Blueberries help in the slowing of macular degeneration. Lutein is the reason Kleinste Motte. 

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post, and I have NO answers at all... I know that I'm always surprised that we here in East TN are only getting South Carolina peaches here --yet George is closer... Georgia peaches go all over the country --and farther---but we can't get them here (as close as we are)....Duh!!!! (I'm sure there are some good reasons!!!)

    Blueberries are so good for us --but they are the one berry that I don't care for. Darn!!!!

    My husband's parents BOTH have Macular Degeneration... George gets his eyes checked regularly --since it is in the family!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am with betsy, no answers, but intersting questions. I love blueberry pie or cobbler. did not know they are good for the eyes. they are very, very expensive here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I don;t have an answer to your question.

    My mom has macular degeneration. I am thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete