Friday, July 9, 2010

The Rebel

Just after midnight the family gathered around the bed carrying a platter of pineapple pieces decorated with birthday candles lit for the occasion. Card and gift at hand they began the traditional birthday chant. I smiled, blew out the candles and we all ate some of the fruit. I received hugs 'n kisses, the card and the gift. Wrapped in a pretty blue bag, green tissue ruffles enhanced by pretty colourful ribbon trimmings it was heavy for it's size.  I opened the card full of good wishes first. Then I parted the tissue in the bag to discover a shiny  camera box. A dream? Yes! The gift of a Canon Rebel t1 DSLR camera along with a 16 gig SD card , a filter for bright sunlight and a carry case. Awesome!! All of us sat on my bed opening all the little packages that came in the box, talking and laughing as we put the things together. The battery has been put on it's first charge. Here's hoping I'll be able to learn a few of the skills required to take focused, attractive pictures like those on my new blogging friends' posts. Rebel 'n me! I pray that my altered vision and crocked arthritic fingers will not hinder my efforts. Rebel. I've aged but no matter how old I get I have dreams. Rebel. And it's so rewarding when others are willing to share a little time with me, respecting and humouring me along the way. Thank you. I'm a  happy rebel at 64 with a new Rebel, Kleinste Motte. 
P.S. This picture was taken at the pond before the Rebel. 

11 comments:

  1. Check out my blog. I left you a birthday greeting on it.

    Many many happy birthdays I wish for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your new Rebel. I love mine with all my heart. it is 4 years old and I would love to have one of the new ones. you will love it. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There, Congrats on your Rebel.. It is just like my hubby's new camera. Did you get the long lens with yours too??? Mine is a Rebel also--but an XSI instead of a T1i like yours. We both love ours...

    I have a 300 mm lens for long distance --for my bird pictures... George has a macro lens with his for close-ups.

    You will love your new camera.... AND a VERY VERY Happy Birthday to YOU.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got this same camera in February. I really like it and I'm a little older than 64! I wish you very good success with the new camera and also happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thanks for following me. You're in Markham? I'm in K-W!

    I'll add you to my sidebar links to keep up with your blog.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful gift you got for your birthday! I can't wait to see your photos after you get some practice in. Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! What a beautifully written post.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will look forward to what you and Rebel have to say in your next posts :P

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brenda pointed me to your blog.
    Happy belated birthday!
    What a fabulous, fun birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful gift indeed! Many happy returns and many, many photos to share!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice birthday gift. I know you are going to enjoy it..a great bloging tool. :) Gerry

    ReplyDelete