Saturday, July 24, 2010

Algonquins Moving


  This piece of art shows Algonquins canoeing. Captured before our house fire it sat on our living room coffee table years back. On Monday it will come back to us from the fire damage restoration. So will the table but not the sofas. We are living in a temporary rental home since March 2008. Our own fire damaged house sits and waits for reconstruction because we are faced with many exteral conflicts. To date the fire marshall has not released the outcome of the cause. That impacts everything we try to do. The property is insured but even that has been held up. Let us move on. 
  The bronze depicted here was bought from Rob Knox, the artist brother of a client who was influential in re-viving an old Ontario brewery, the Algonquin Brewery. It made it's beer from some old family recipe in Formosa where there was a great supply of natural spring water. Once in production, it was available where ever beer was sold in Ontario. The statue is a replica of the logo that was used for the brand. Some time later in the 90's a fellow by the name of Jim Brickman decided to create a microbrewery in Ontario. He bought the rights and the brewery under the heading of Brisk brewery. Thus the Algonquins have moved on. It happens when there is consolidation. I don't like beer but I love the statue and the history Kleinste Motte. 

12 comments:

  1. That piece of art is simply beautiful and a great story behind it. I hope you are please with the restoration when you get it back. :) Thank you for sharing it. Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi chez...I am sorry my blog was messed up but I am just taking a slight break to recover from everything. I hope when I start again you will rejoin me. Your comments and encouragement after my ordeal were very helpful. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely piece of art, and i can't beleive you have been out of your home for that long. so sorry you are out of your home in a rental for that long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I had no idea you all had had a house fire. How horrible that must have been. Glad you saved that beautiful art showing lAlgonquins canoeing... Hope you have been able to save many more of your personal and special items...

    Seems like the fire marshall could make a ruling on your fire BY NOW.... I know that the waiting is hard for you.

    Hope you have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Algonquins are aboriginal/First Nations inhabitants of North America (wiki)

    I've learned something new today. Thanks ..
    Interesting piece of art :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful image to represent moving on. I am so sorry to hear about all of this. I knew you had a fire, but not how much damage it caused. I am so glad that you were able to save this and the coffee table. Your coffee table looks like one of a kind work of art, as well. Why does it take these people so very long to determine the cause of the fire, I just can't im imagine! And all the while with you waiting. I hope you will be able to get closure and move on very soon now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This image on your blog is just sticking in my mind. I can't imagine being displaced for so long, it doesn't seem right. But I know there is a reason for everything, and maybe you will find out why. But in the meantime, I will be praying for you, for a speedy end to this limbo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can certainly see why you treasure this wonderful piece of art. The history enhances the value. I am so sorry things are going so slowly regarding the restoration and rebuilding of your home, but for now at least you are able to have things such as the bronze restored. Like you I don't drink beer but I certainly appreciate good art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful piece of art. So sorry to hear of the fire. Hope everything gets settled soon, Two years is a long time for you and family to be waiting. Thanks for your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful piece of art. My husband and I love pieces such as this one. So sorry to learn of your fire. Hope the renovations move along soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awful to have to deal with loss from fire. A friend lost his home due to a house fire; the thing that made him sad was the loss of all their photographs and childhood memories - all things that could never be replaced and of no monetary value to anyone else, but priceless to the owner. I hope things will clear for you to move into a new home some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful sculpture. I hadn't realized you were in a fire and everything is being held up. I feel for you as I just went through a fire just over a year ago now. We are back home but it took longer than usual. I hope and pray things can move forward for you soon.

    ReplyDelete