Friday, August 20, 2010

Sight

Yesterday I mentioned that I eat lots of blueberries for their lutein. May I encourage you to protect your vision as best as you can? Your retina is extremely important. Imagine having to live without it? Blind? 
Having been totally blind in my left eye for three days in December 1992,  I can tell you first hand that losing ones' sight is very scary. Thanks to  an innovative retinal surgeon my curled up and detached retina was "lasered" back onto my eyeball on December 23rd. It took three weeks before I saw any  light and three more before I could vaguely see my surgeon's two fingers shaped in a V. He was ecstatic and told why. He had experimented. Normally the severely curled retina would be written off as not repairable but he decided to try something never done before. There was nothing to loose and so much to gain . He reattached some bits and pieces of what he could uncurl and removed my vitreous (seems we can see without those). My good outcome meant he could use this procedure with a positive outcome. What a great gift!  After a few months I began to regain  more sight and a high myopia  (-24)  external lens correction got me to the second row of letters on the chart. But at least I had some sight.  In May 2000 a cataract surgeon took a chance and implanted an artificial lens while removing  a cataract. That's when the eye got high definition  20/20 vision for some time. It changed in May 2010. Now my retinal and the cataract health need lots of  extra lutein Kleinste Motte.

10 comments:

  1. Wow---you have had some great doctors... I'm so glad that you have kept your eyesight... Praise God.

    As I told you, my hubby is always worried about his eyes --and he takes Lutein everyday.. Since both of his parents have Macular Degeneration, he watches his eyesight constantly...

    Take care --and eat lots of Blueberries.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a blessing that you were cared for by a doctor willing to try to reach for the near impossible. That was a miracle to be praised.

    I think about how blessed I am to be with good eyesite. I have a friend that is almost blind and growing worse almost daily.

    Take care,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what an experience and such a great outcome. Every sense we have is so valuable, losing ones sight is tragic - I am very happy for you positive outcome. I would be eating those blueberries too. Hmmm...I think I have some in the freezer...I gotta go, something just became very important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to start eating more blueberries starting today! I wonder if blueberry pie counts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great story. and i do know how important our eyes are. my mother lost her sight to diabetes the last year of her life and it is most precious to be able to see. i like you, take good care of my eyes and my eye doctor told me to take more fish oil, i was taking one a day and he put me on 3. he said omega oils are good for the eye also, or eat lots of fish, which i rarely eat. you have been through so much and always come out with a postive attitude. your doctor did a good thing for you and now others will benefit from your surgery. how cool is that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck getting all the extra lutein you need. I only need glasses for reading the computer screen and books since I had my cataract surgery on both eyes. Thanks for your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful doctor you have! Eyesight is so very precious indeed and I hope to keep it as long as I can, thank goodness I love blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You write of something I have been concerned about since I was diagnosed with diabetes. I do eat lots of blueberries and take lots of vitamins and so far so good!! By the way...I am back to my blog if you are still interested. I do value you as a follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your doctor is a marvel...really willing to go the extra distance. Lutein huh? I'm not a real big fan of blueberries....but maybe I need to realign my likes and dislikes.

    Congratulations on retaining your sight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My wife is crazy for blueberries, she can't get enough.

    ReplyDelete