Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Another chance

 Yesterday hubby went for an angiogram. He hoped to be back in the office by today. That was not how it was to be. Instead he was transferred to the ACU (acute care unit) cardiology ward shortly after the results of the test. There he's being prepped for bypass surgery. 
  For 26 years (refer to last year's December An Unusual Christmas Story) he has avoided it but now the odds are stacked against him. It's do or die and he's not very happy, actually rather quite scared! He cannot imagine having his chest cracked open. He was told that's what they have planned. In his case it's the only option for the type of repair he needs.
  When Buddy had his open heart surgery done hubby wept for the whole 4 1/2 hours until the surgeon told him Buddy had come through it just fine. And Buddy's had this done twice. He feels his dad will be just fine and home well before Christmas. In fact Buddy has plans to make it more special just for Dad. Well I'm with Buddy. All of us are. 
  I believe hubby will eventually feel a lot better after his five blockages are bypassed. And I hope he'll give up his cigars. I never really thought he really liked them. My guess is it was just his way to deal with not really feeling great and grasping on to this to make believe it helped. Pressure can make us do things that are not good choices. For him this was one of those as he was making believe it' was an enjoyable thing to do. HA! 
 Exactly four weeks ago we  were having so much fun at the delightful wedding of our daughter. Now we are bracing ourselves for caring for my darling hubby who has always been there for all of us. I know your good wishes will come our way. That's just the way you are and I'm glad for that. It helps to have your support.

18 comments:

  1. You definitely have my support and good wishes. My mother and sister have both been through this and my mom's life was extended for many years because of it. And my sister PJ is doing just fine many decades later! It is scary to think of it, though. I'm glad they are doing it and hoping for him to come through much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Five blockages. I will definitely send a prayer or two and I'm so glad you caught it in time. They can do such wonders with the medical surgeries these days though your hubby will have to rest to recover. Blessings and hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. I love Buddy's wonderful outlook and sure you will all have a wonderful Christmas together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping and praying all goes well for your hubby, you and the family. I'm sure Buddy will keep him on his toes. My nephew just had his chest opened 2 weeks ago this past Monday. He had one valve replaced and one repaired. He's 49. He's doing great now. Good luck to all of you. Will be thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was five years ago around this time, my mother was admitted for the same thing. I know how you feel and I will be thinking about your hubby who has been gracing us with his cameo appearances and we have gotten to know him and how much he is loved by all.

    Positive thoughts are sent your way!
    Hang in there if he could survive the Christmas Story incident, he will come through with flying colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a difficult time for your and your husband Kleinstemotte. May it all go well. It is extraordinary how well people can do following heart surgery. I wish your husband all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds as though there is no other option for your hubby, so it's definitely going to be the right way for going forward and being able to have a good quality of life. I can understand how anxious he is. I know I would be! But, what a blessing Buddy is for him right now, having been through this procedure twice. His love and support will help his Dad pull through this well, I am sure. I wish you all the very best and my thoughts will be with you for getting through not only the surgery but the long recovery period afterwards. Tell your hubby he looked jolly handsome lying on his hospital gurney :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping all is going well for your hubby! I know I am late, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My prayers are with you and your husband, and your family. I echo the good wishes of others in sending positive thoughts. It sounds like the time is now, and it is the right time for this procedure.

    Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have already prayed for him and for his quick recovery. my hubby had his 4 years ago and he did wonderful with his. I pray peace for you and your family and for your hubby during this time and for quick healing. My hubby was up and walking the next day and was home in 4 days and in 2 weeks was able to walk at 5 weeks back to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Heidi, I am so sorry to read this ---but it sounds like something your hubby NEEDS to have done. I will definitely keep him (and you and Buddy) in my prayers...

    You are right---he will feel much better after this surgery.

    Hugs and PRAYERS,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am praying for your family, especially Buddy. May God look over you and his blessing sustain the family while the procedure is being done. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buddy seems to know just what to say. I'm sorry your dear husband has to go through this right now. I am praying that all has gone well. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am getting the picture Mr Hubby is a bit stubborn. It's been two days since you posted this so, I suppose the operation has been completed. I will be waiting for good news. I have asked the Father to hold you and yours tight through this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life is so full of ups and downs. One day we're rejoicing and the next worrying.

    I hope dear hubby will come through this with flying colours. I like Buddy's attitude and yours too.

    Sending hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry, dear. You'll keep us posted, of course.

    I've been so scared so many times before going into surgery! A person just has to get their affairs in order best they can (if they have the chance), and then resign themselves to whatever happens, knowing full well that one possible outcome--however low the odds--is death.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have quite a lot on your plate already with your poor eyesight. I hope everyone in the family will rally round and help with the care of hubby.

    Best of luck to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As one who has also had his "chest cracked open", and as you likely know with Buddy's experience, it certainly is an ordeal. But the alternative is much less thinkable. We do what we have to do, but luckily a vast majority of people get through it just fine.

    You are additionally lucky living in Canada; my surgery cost $218,000, most of which insurance paid. Half of my fellow-citizens do not have health insurance.

    ReplyDelete