Friday, December 9, 2011

Soft Glow

  Already two Sundays of the Advent season have passed by and I've hardly noticed. The turmoil of hubby's heath and some of the other recent events have interfered a bit with our traditions. With Buddy's help we did manage to put up some wreaths on our entrance doors and a few lights in our front window.
  But there is something seemingly magical about lit candles. During my childhood years my mother (and other family members) fondly celebrated the four advent Sundays leading up to Christmas Eve. It started with a trip to the forest for some fir branches. These were fashioned into a wreath to be decorated with some ribbon and placed on a specially embroidered square table covering. Four bright red advent candles were evenly placed into metal holders that were fixed into the fir.
  One was lit each Sunday until all were done. In the eves we sat around that table where the candle light would glow and we sang carols. I recall my family enjoyed singing in various harmonies, alto, soprano and so on while my dad added beautiful chords and made the melodies seem so much more vivd from his accordion. The adults would sip some warmed up wine while we got hot cocoa. And all this led to a greater anticipation for the upcoming event, the celebration of the arrival of the Christ child.
For Christmas there would be a fir tree full of white candles that made the ornaments shines when they were lit but this did not happen until Christmas Eve. In fact the tree was kept locked away in an unheated parlour hidden until that special night.
  Of course there were a few packages wrapped in simple paper held together with some string set on the table nearby where the wreath had been.. Gifts were usually hand made unless it was a printed book. I recall waiting eagerly to get into that room. But there was a tradition passed down from my grandparents. The simple meal of fish and potato salad came first. And after that we had to sing carols. Only when this was completed could we enter the room with the lit Christmas tree. It was cool in that room for we had no central heating but it felt warm in no time.  I think maybe the candles helped add some warmth but actually I believe it was because it was time to share our gifts with each other. It was grand. Everyone glowed with contentment. Even though we had very little right after the war it still felt like a lot. The best part was that the joyfulness and thankfulness could be felt. Everyone's spirit was high!
  Today I still love the warm, soft glow of cable light. It feel good.
  Soon there will be lights on our Christmas tree but very different ones. Candles have had to be replaced. Today LED bulbs put that bright sparkle on a fake or sometimes real tree.
  Ours will be set up in our family room a bit late this year (even though we've changed to a more Canadian tradition) but definitely before that magical eve. And we'll make time to open a gift that night too. That's my favourite time.
  Gradually our kids led us to opt for Christmas day to open most gifts (maybe because they still had to  wrap them?) because that's what they've learned over time. It's the way it's done in their circle of friends whose families have also adapted this North American way.
  And here in Canada things are blended together forming a colourful palette of traditions that we can opt to enjoy and we do. Christmas time is celebrated in many ways even by non Christians. Maybe we all like that warmth and joy that comes from sharing?
  Still I prefer the flicker of a real candle. It makes me happy.
  How about you? Do you have some very special memories you wish to share?

9 comments:

  1. For me the Lionel train running around the Christmas tree, the presents being tunnels and mountains. I still set it up around the tree today (Yes, an Atheist still enjoys a decorated Christmas tree, lights, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your memory of Christmas past is very special. I love the soft flicker of a candle also. I remember my sister and I insisting that the house only have candle light on Christmas Eve. It was a special time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My special memory would take too long to share in detail. But as I remember it, it was a magical time for me at about 6 years old. Discussing it with mom later, she told me that was a particularly hard year financially and she didn't think it was much of a Christmas. Yet it is one of my most special times. I can still see the cabin we lived in at that time and the decorations with the soft glow of lights.

    Your candle is pretty. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part of Christmas is the family memories. Yours are especially beautiful, and I think I'll buy some candles today so I can light them on Christmas Eve. Maybe I can start a tradition of my own. Thank you for the wonderful story of singing and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very much in agreement with DJan. The best part is the memories of family. This year, my heart (and my voice) is singing "I'll be home for Christmas" with a lilt because Kailyn (my youngest) will arrive next Sunday. It has been a seemingly long three and a half months with her in France.

    Some memories bring tears, because of the many who are no longer sharing Christmas with us, yet, even those memories are beautiful.

    I'm praying for you and your husband as you walk this path of hopeful good health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautifully recalled memory you have shared here. It certainly felt as though we were taking a step back in time to a far gentler world (although you said it was post war and times were tough). I love candle light, too. As you say, one doesn't burn too many real candles anymore. I love to bath by candle light, though. It is so relaxing. I hope you and your family will enjoy a very special Christmas, despite your Hubby's recent major surgery and continuing recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your family story and your sharing of a special tradition is very touching. We just get together Christmas eve and then have Christmas dinner next day. Hope this finds your hubby doing well and may you all have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely old Christmas story. Candle light is wonderful for this time of year! Grandma used to have candle clips for the tree, but I never saw them being used.

    When is Hubby coming home? I hope in time for Christmas!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There, Just stopping by to say Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete