Friday, May 13, 2011

Reception I

   May 6th we headed for the airport to take an AC flight to Winnipeg, a city we've never been to. Leaving Buddy behind made it more relaxing since we had only each other to keep an eye on. At the departures level there was just enough time to get our boarding pass, drop off our luggage and take the very long path to the gate. With an Air Canada app that I had downloaded I had all the flight details right at my fingertips. And it surprised me when we were just seated at our gate and got an an alert. I gazed at my phone in disbelief. The gate had been changed and the flight was delayed due to plane tech problems. Really?? I had received this info even before it was announced to all the passengers sitting around us. How cool is that? With an hour to spare we decided to have some lunch. While we sat munching I heard our name being called over the public address but Hubby who didn't hear it said I was just imagining it. Later when being boarded the staff asked us why we had not responded to their call. They had wanted to let us know about the seat change. Funny thing and no app to tell me this? Guess apps still have many limits. 
   We had great seats with lots of leg room. The flight was smooth and lasted 2 1/2 hours. I watched The King's Speech to pass the time. Hubby dozed. After landing it didn't take long to retrieve our baggage. We opted for a limo to take us to our hotel, the Fairmount selected by Hubby, where we were given a lovely room. Once settled we took a stroll outside the place and  discovered we were in the heart of the financial and theatre district of the city.

 We found this statue of John Hirsch and Tom Hendry outside a theatre very interesting. Those two created the Manitoba Theatre Centre (MTC) in 1958 and in1961 the regional theatres began throughout North America. A friendly local person offered to take our photo beside those famous dudes. On our walk we saw many gorgeous older buildings. Sadly they were often unoccupied and neglected. What a waste of real estate! Below is a Confederation Life Place for an example.
 When my eyes caught the golden letters on this structure I grinned and just had to snap a photo. Who knew there would be a white house in Winnipeg? Notice it's vacant too.


  After our walk we treated ourselves to a fancy dinner at the Velvet Glove. I chose poached pickerel from Lake Winnipeg served on a bed of lentils mixed with capers and fresh local vegetables. He opted for the filet steak and had calamari as an appetizer. Of course we did the wine and dessert too. And he ended this eve with a bit of a cigar. Saturday would be busy so we headed to our room and retired before midnight.
   At noon we met up with his relatives who were also staying at the Fairmount and planned our trip together to Portage La Prairie where the wedding reception was to take place at 5:30pm. A van that accommodated us was rented for that purpose and at 3:00pm we headed out of Winnipeg. The hour long drive took us past the Assiniboine River and we could see how very high the water level was. Fast too. Predicted to crest a few days later, by today things have turned for the worse. Much rain has fallen. It is likely to seriously flood its banks this weekend. And the water will remain on the flat prairie for weeks to come. Farmers expect to loose a lot. Canada grows much of the world's wheat on those fields.
   The Herman Prior Hall was rented for the occasion. Much work went into the detailed decorations. The bridal party wore the same attire as at the alter to add to the charm of the event since over 3/4th of the guests were not able to be at the ceremony in Mexico. The reception was lots of fun. Hubby made it his point to be the bride's uncle to remember and he was a hit with many of guests. His many years as a Rotarian have taught him to find the right words in any situation. He knows how to be humorous and relaxing with any audience. He wooed and charmed the ladies and of course he took any opportunity to share his best Cuban cigars with those who dared to puff them! A live band blasted some familiar tunes and there was dancing and lots of food and drinks. That's how weddings are. Lots of fun. In the wee hours of Sunday our designated driver returned us safely to our hotel.

11 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your time at the wedding. I was just listening to global news and learned about iphone apps. I paid attention because I've been thinking about possibly getting such a phone and I know there are many useful apps out there. But I was shocked today to discover that a person (who knows how) can pinpoint exactly where you live by using the longitude and latitude info on the photos taken on your phone (perhaps there are other ways also). Did you know that? There was also a "good hacker" (term used on the news) that said many unsuspecting phone users are having all their information tracked when they download apps there is spyware there. They are unaware because they are getting use out of the app. I guess this part doesn't surprise me since the same thing happens on line when you download various things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice trip! And I do like that picture of the two of you standing in front of those interesting statues. I appreciate you taking the time to document your journey. It was just like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me tell you that all digital media even cameras have the ability to pinpoint your exact where about. The media is making it appear that the iphone is unique in this respect but it's not so. I have the choice to turn my location off and on. Software can do the same thing and you may not know it. It's all over the place now. Netflix or even the TV networks, games, just about all collect info about you and your location. Personal security is dead, So is privacy. It's a well known fact.The photos you publish on your blog fall into the same category if you enable location. There's also a faces app that will sort all your relatives by face on every photo and even a voice recognition that may tell you who was speaking. Hi tech comes with perks and draw backs. I enjoy playing with tech and I am well aware that our freedom as we have known it has gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly it is true about our loss of freedoms and privacy. Just so long as you know what you are dealing with when it comes to the phones. I am learning as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am no longer able or willing to keep up with tech as I get behind the minute I buy something new. Your meal sounded great to me. I also enjoyed seeing both of you in the photo the stranger took.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a great time on your trip, and it was so well planned out! No big glitches!

    As far as our privacy - nothing is sacred any more and Big Brother has become the norm. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip. How nice that a stranger offered to take your photo together! The trip sounded magnificent from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a very good picture of the two of you or the four of you, including statues. :) A nice comfortable trip and the wedding reception was great. Thanks for sharing your trip.
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - I switched to Typepad b/c I wanted to develop a new concept and wanted to be able to do it with some expert advice. Plus I didn't love Blogger - and now feel that way even more knowing it went down for as long as it did last week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that sculpture. I enjoy looking at street art like that.

    ReplyDelete