Friday, October 1, 2010

Vibrating Echos

How often had I drifted to sleep to the sound of Dad playing the piano? Countless nights since the arrival of his brand new WINTER apartment size piano bought from the Queen Street Eaton's store in May 1958. He  loved this instrument and used it daily playing the music of Schumann and Chopin as much as Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. He tended to labour more on pieces by the two former composers perhaps because he found them more challenging? I heard them even in my sleep. My room was directly over that piano. It was comforting to be serenaded nightly. It was part of a routine, a good one that ended tragically in September 1962.
Yesterday was our first concert outing for this season. After a lovely dinner at the Elephant and the Castle on King Street, we strolled over to Roy Thomson Hall on Simcoe Street for the TSO opening night. The programme was to highlight the music of two composers celebrating their bicentennial, Schumann and Chopin. Guest artist Louis Lortie, pianist, was performing to mark the occasion.
As his fingers danced over the keys and the melodies of Schumann's piano concerto in A minor op.54 reached my ears it was as if I had been transported back in time. I knew the melody so well. I was deeply touched. A thunder of applause let me know it was over. WOW!!
After intermission Lortie played again. This time it was Chopin's Andante spianato and Grand Polonaise op.22.  My senses were reawakened to another deluge of very familiar tunes. Who knew that I would be so emotionally entwined with the vibrations echoing from that grand piano? And my days of bedtime routine were flooding through me. I cannot describe that feeling except to say it was simply comforting. Peaceful. Although there was a full orchestra present and playing, my mind elevated the piano part and transported us to a place I had forgotten. Blissful moment. Sweet. Calming. One more time. Timeless. The celebration of great art is it's timelessness. And I guess I had a first hand experience of just that.
As I type this and reflect I wonder if my recent 'Heidi' posts have awakened something sweet, my dad's spirit? October is here and with it come some wild and wacky moments. Let the fun begin!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi, I grew up with great music also. My family was very musical--and i majored in music in college . I can hear gorgeous classical music -and think of my family ---just like you.

    I took piano lessons from age 7 through 18. I even got a high school music diploma in piano. But--when I went to college, I switched from piano to voice. I always have enjoyed playing the piano though.

    Thanks for a beautiful post... Hope you have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful night of great music and great memories ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let the fun begin all right. I look forward to the wild and the wacky. Thanks, K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever the reason, it is wonderful to awaken your musical spirit and for you to enjoy the music like you did when your father played.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its time to get out there and grab some fall photos for us down here that have none.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post...how precious your memories must be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine how much this must have swayed you -- transported you. Memories...feeling...stuff of the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I have been absent from your blog! I can only hope your Heidi posts have awakened your father's spirit!

    ReplyDelete