Tuesday, March 22, 2011

SPRING

 The season has officially changed to spring but in my area it is exceptionally slow in making it's appearance this year. Not even many buds are willing to present themselves although one or two bushes are making some effort.
 Over the years I have experienced such a variety of ends of winter. Some years like now the cold weather just keeps hanging on. Then in May we head straight into a head wave. That is the most common version. It's also the hardest to adjust to. From a winter coat to a T-shirt overnight is difficult our the human auto-responses. 
 My favourite way is when March warms up gradually. Then in April the plants and tress begin to bud so that by early May it feels comfortable and looks very pretty as all things burst into bloom. This version is less common. Last year it was like that. But this year we are not getting that.
 I wonder how these cycles manifest themselves? It's as if there's something we don't know, something we don't understand. The flora and fauna seem to know. Birds are only just starting to come back. Last year they were here by the end of February and they stayed fairly late in the fall. No idea how it will be this year. And will we ever be in tune the way most of nature appears to be??
 The ice remains on the pond and there will be snow tomorrow. Patience is dwindling because I'm longing for the warmth of the sun on my cheeks as I walk. The cold wind hurts. My eyes are so sensitive now. But walks are a must for the heart so I plod on as often as I am able.
 Spring has not sprung. 

13 comments:

  1. Sorry Spring hasn't gotten to you yet. We had a lovely 82F again today, trees have bloomed or are blooming. I think the peaches were ahead this year. I'm in TN, where are you? Spring will come any time and surprise you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! The trees are now beginning to bud and blossom out, but it was cold all day, even with the sun shining. Way too cold for this time of year. I'm sorry to hear you have more snow coming.

    But yes, I am glad that Robert is back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have springlike weather one day, and cold blistery winds the next. We are beginning to see some trees budding. Just today my forsythia was blooming when yesterday it was not.

    I hope you have that sun on your cheek soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Spring SPRINGS itself on you very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd love it here. March has veered all the way from rainy and 48 degrees to rainy and 51 degrees. You can't get a lot more gradual than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Spring seems to be slow in a lot of places this year. I hope you get at least some sunshine and the odd warm day to give you the hope that Spring is around the bend. Big hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring has sprung here in NE Oklahoma. I hope it gets to your area soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope Spring springs soon! We're having lovely weather in London this week and it's springing all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems I will likely enjoy yet another spring. I just walked outside today, the first time since returning home from the hospital. The air had a bit of a chill but it felt good on my lungs to breathe "real" air. I am looking forward to spending more time outside this year - sometimes we don't truly appreciate the simple things in life until we are faced with possibly losing them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you see any birds flying in my direction, let me know. I'll get the welcome mat out and the bird bath with fresh water. Hope your spring is a good one. Love and peace,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought we had spring in the air, but cold weather is back with freezing rain. I wanted to start my walking regiment but not yet. Hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems to be taking it's sweet old time here too! Minus 8 or 9 overnight is way too cold for the end of March! Hopefully, April will be warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually bemoan living in Houston with it's two seasons -- a short winter and a long summer. But right now I appreciate Houston even though Tree Pollen is Extremely High...and my nose knows it.

    ReplyDelete