Saturday, March 5, 2011

SADNESS

   I ought to be very happy. It is pouring rain outside. The dirty accumulation of snow is being washed away. But my mind has shifted to an area that I don't like. There is too much pessimism. Perhaps my illness has a bit to do with it?
   Strep throat gave me pain and time out in bed. The antibiotics were strong and the recovery has been gradual. I took the opportunity to just stay in my bed to rest. Using the iTV I got at Christmas time I downloaded some Oscar nominated movies and other films. As I watched them I also took time out to watch the Middle East events unfold. Both had a very bad affect on my outlook. I was filled with waves of doom and gloom. While many are fighting for democracy, those who have democracy are not managing their rights very well! Here's where one problem lies.
    Though the documentary Gasland did not win any Oscars, it points a finger at a 2005 change in the US clean air and water laws exempting natural gas drilling sites using FRACKING to comply with those laws. WHY??  One claim is it's to make US self sufficient faster in energy production in order to get away from the terrorists. But the truth about the messy ways of extraction are not being openly disclosed. To me it seems that there is a form of terror created by this method. And it's happening right inside our democratic countries!  A free market world where speedy low cost production and profit rules should be more wary of the serious deadly consequences. Since 2005 much has been learned about the vast drilling beds and it's horrific effects in the area where it has be done.. People and animals are suffering from many illnesses and deaths. Who is doing anything about this?? Who cares? WE ALL SHOULD!! US papers The Baltimore Sun and Business Week and the Canadian Montreal Gazette are all warning us again today that our drinking water will be seriously contaminated in eastern America once drilling begins in PA.
  Why is GASLAND not on every station daily educating our electorate about the crime that's happening on our doorstep? We need to fight this wrong!! We have a right to protect our water. Soon we will have no fresh water left to drink. Millions more will be wondering why they feel sick. There is another issue. Reversing damage done is not possible since we have no technology to do that yet. BAD WATER to my mind is far worse than the H1N1,a pandemic that we were told would be deadly if we did nothing. No clean water an act of terror! This is super serious. Get out there and fight! Democracy needs you NOW!!
    Why are we not using the social network to demand this to stop?

4 comments:

  1. Though I have not had my head in the sand, I honestly don't know about this documentary. I would suppose I should look it up tomorrow, so I know what is going on, not that I personally can do a thing about it. I do know that industry has managed to make their way and ruin so much of our fresh and ground water. When I was a child, I would never have dreamed that I would be buying bottled water.

    So sorry you had strep throat, I have had a couple bouts of it and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Take care and get well!

    When I have forced rest due to a number of causes, I don't watch the news, at all, it just gets me anxious and upset, which doesn't help with recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you've been sick and not feeling up to par. I find when I'm in a pessimistic mood it is good to watch only funny movies and avoid the news. Of course there are times when we need to educate ourselves but not at the risk of making ourselves sicker. I admit I don't know about this documentary or about the change to the legislation you mention. To be honest there is so much that we could uncover in so called democratic countries if we take time to do it. That would make me too ill, I'm afraid. I do try to keep up to date on my local issues, sometimes national issues or international ones and do what I can...some things I can do locally and nationally are cast my votes, write letters to the legislators and meet with my MLAs and MPs. Beyond that I'm focussed in Kenya where people are starving and dying due to lack of water. That and trying to keep my family needs taken care of have me pretty busy. Sorry if I went on too long. I do hope you get better real soon. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always so ambivalent about watching these documentaries, since they raise my consciousness but also leave me feeling so helpless to do anything about it. Our news media focuses on a very small segment of news and leaves the rest out. I don't understand it.

    Sorry to hear you have been so sick. I hope to read on your blog soon that you are feeling better, both physically and spiritually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am sorry you have been sick, i wondered why you were so quiet, but thought it had to do with moving. i know what you mean about watching the news, it is a real downer and if you were sick while watching it would be hard to watch. i have stopped watching the news, i read some of it as it happens on line, but pick and choose what i read. you are so right about our water, water is the one thing we can not live without, clean water equals life

    ReplyDelete