Friday, August 21, 2009

Stormy Eve

In less than three minutes more than 6 hundred buildings were ruined. Trucks overturned. Cars crushed.
Trees uprooted or snapped like twigs. All because of two powerful raging funnels!
Tornados!
The TV show was interrupted for a severe weather warning.
A funnel was fast approaching.
Advice to take cover. I'd heard warnings before and ignored this one.
Moments later more warnings.
Still not responsive. The third warning caught my attention. A tornado!!
It had just ravaged through a nearby conservation park. An onsite day camp had hurt youngsters. One fatality!
Why? Oh Noooo... I thought. Camp isn't supposed to be unsafe.
Panic-like feelings began to gnaw at me. I was feeling very uncomfortable.
Something about the air around me felt very eerie. Daylight vanished as the dark clouds invaded the afternoon sky. As darkness grew, I got my small emergency radio/flashlight out of storage. I tuned it to a local station.
Warnings. More warnings.
An update of the location of the storm and to take cover.
"Head for a basement", a voice said. I started pacing. Undecided. Unsure.
At the window I peered out to uncover why it was so eerie outside.
An unusual darkness.
Rain pellted. Wind howled. A strange atmosphere!
My gut let me know it was NOW time to move quickly. Grabbing my necessities; radio, cell phone, water bottle, purse and a folding chair, I headed to the cellar.
It was even darker. I switched on a light.
Then nestled in my chair in a corner, I retuned the radio.
Moments later the storm was just two blocks away. Richmond Hill.
Rain began to pelt harder.Then suddenly all changed.
Stillness, darkness.  The atmosphere that was very foreboding.
Beep! Signal drop. My cell phone lost its signal. A fear crpet over me.
My stomach burned. My breathing faltered. Silence...
Silence that was so eerie and so brief!
Beep! The signal returned. The light was back.
And just as quickly the sky became less gloomy.
How fast it was all happening! Frightful!
As the darkness gave way to light I breathed sighs of relief.
I took several big breaths.
Then I waited a bit to be sure it was safe to go back upstairs.
The radio announced Vaughan had been hit.The storm had changed its course. It was heading to the downtown area.
I climbed up the celler stairs. What might I find?
Something had changed. The atmosphere.
A feeling of calm.
I felt more at ease. I walked over to the living room window.
The street was so covered by water, no curbs were visible.
I scanned the neighbourhood.. All intact. Spared.
The funnel did not touch down right here.
Although I like showers there are moments when rain becomes a storm.
Storms are different. They are dangerous.
Tornados are the worst!!!
Kleinste Motte it's stopped raining.


No comments:

Post a Comment