Tuesday, May 6, 2014

'CHUNNEL' FUN

It was this day, May 6, 1994 that the famous tunnel between England and France was opened by the Queen and the French President Mitterrand. The Eurostar bullet train goes some 40 metres (12')under the sea bed and connects the two cities faster. 
On Thursday we head to London where my daughter now lives. Since her workplace has made her work week extra busy for her, we opted to takes a little side trip. Paris it had to be. Hubby loves train rides and I love Paris and it's spring time. For us it was an natural add on. Buddy loves everything and he's very excited especially about the bullet part of the train ride.
Next Tuesday we leave London and make our way through that famous 'chunnel' that I once travelled through with my older daughter in 1997 on our mother daughter trip to my birthplace. Back then I was younger, braver and able to take on foreign roads. From Paris we drove a little rental Peugeot through Brussels to my aunt's in Hannover, Germany. Me driving can't happen any more. My vision won't do unfamiliar areas very well nor would I cope well in the increased rush of traffic these days. Hubby likely could but I would be a lousy guide and he does need one. I prefer to sit in the back seat when he drives and let Buddy be his companion. I am less of a backseat driver from the back. LOL.
We are looking forward to our new adventure. We just had to share what's happening since it's been ages since the two of us have blogged. In case you aren't aware, I've made Buddy a part to the process. We discuss what's fun to share. He also gets to read your comments and loves some of the amazing things you post.
I shall take my Rebel and see what I can find to snap. Buddy will have his iPhone. He's quite the photographer. Let's see what can we discover. We'll share some things when we are back (or even on route).  
Au revoir.

11 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful trip. I look forward to photos and words from you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful you have a spring trip planned. I wish I was going too as I've yet to visit London or Paris. I'll look forward to reading and seeing what you and Buddy will share with us along the way. Safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I ate my first real French crepe in a market in Paris about 14 years ago. Gosh it was good. I hope you get to eat lots of crepes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I will get to join you all during your holiday via your blog. I also look forward to the pictures! Best to Buddy and please be careful traveling, you are all precious to many of your ardent fans. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that i activate this site, i wiil seek no added for admonition in this matter.
    Gold & silver chain by the inch

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you and Buddy and your husband are having a wonderful time in the UK and a great trip to Paris too.

    Driving abroad isn’t easy for older people with poor eyesight, in fact it’s a lot safer not to drive at all.

    What a good idea to get Buddy involved in blogging. Hi Buddy, how are you? Doing well?

    I hope the weather keeps a bit better for you in the Southeast than it does for us here in the extreme West, and you can fully enjoy your stay in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are enjoying your trip and the weather is kind. Only 12'? By gum, I would be terrified!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Heidrun and Buddy, I so look forward to seeing photographs of your trip--I hope there will be some of the chunnel--and reading about all you saw and did.

    Like you, Heidrun, I've aged and let go of some things I used to do with aplomb. I hope that while I've let go of some things, I've opened my arms to others. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallo liebe Heidrun,
    ah, du warst/bist in Europa! Wie schön!
    Meine Freundin aus Oxford ist gerade letzte Woche auch mit dem Zug durch den Tunnel nach Brüssel gefahren. 2 Stunden hat das nur gedauert!!!! Unglaublich!
    Ich hoffe, ihr hattet auch eine schöne Zeit und einen tollen Aufenthalt in Paris.
    Liebe und sonnige Grüße,
    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hallo liebe Heidrun,
    alles ok bei dir und deiner Familie? Lange nichts mehr gehört von dir.
    Schau doch mal wieder bei mir vorbei. Freue mich immer, von dir etwas zu lesen.
    Liebe Grüße und ein schönes Wochenende,
    Christa

    ReplyDelete