Wednesday, December 28, 2011

MIRACLES

   I wrote a while ago that I was not a happy Catholic and after reading many blogger comments in recent weeks I discovered that there are quite a few others who have opted out. Historically the church played a major roll in all facets of daily life for a large population but as the fear of going to hell for sinning seemed to have shifted so did the desire to participate actively at the local parishes. And the corruption within the organization has also made some worshipers question whether to continue supporting their parishes.

   I have enjoyed visiting the old cathedrals that one can find worldwide and I am respectful of those who made it their mission to commission them and those who are willing to maintain them. But I wonder how their history has impacted our way of life now? Something new is happening. The traditional teachings are no longer reaching the masses. And wealth and power is shifting.

    The recent holiday time has jogged many bloggers memories, mine too, of earlier times when we were led by our families to follow certain traditions. We remembered them with both passions of delight and of discomfort. And we set out to teach our own young ones to participate in what we set in front of them. Our community and social instincts seemed to need an outlet and some sort of order and togetherness. Perhaps that is why we still carry on? We want to believe that our past had purpose and was meaningful. Perhaps we need this confirmation of our existence? I ponder. Did we do a better job?

    Could we be kinder? Could we be more respectful and more inclusive of others? Could the most wealthy learn to do away with greed and find a better way to balance equality? Major religions seemed to have failed in helping many of their followers to get that point across. And now parishes are beginning to get less support. Other charities are growing and taking in large sums in hopes of sending aid to others. Sadly that's not going well either. Why?
   So what is it that causes such an imbalance? Are we all born with a 'greedy' gene? Do we measure success by what's been acquired? Why is the balance of power in just a few hands, those with the biggest wallets? And why do so many less fortunate believe they'll be better off once they have some millions or billions?
    My thoughts keep going back to my days as an educator. There is a solution out there. A search for a new way to reach the depths of minds ought to be discovered along with a new value system. We need to change in the way we lead our youth. Our old ways are really old!! I can't get over the fact that most of us hate war and killing but we allowed the creation of the number one software game enjoyed by perhaps billions (including fake copies)recently, 'Call of Duty', Modern Warfare 3!! No way will that promote a more caring youth. That's not it's aim! Profit by the company and its shares drive it and many others. It comes with a disguise, a liberty to choose. A democratic right. Hypocrisy ??
    Will there ever be a software that can help us be smarter, kinder, better people? If so I sure hope it is released in the shortest possible time. Our world needs a miracle, one that can be seeded deeply into the brains of the future leaders and followers. Away with deadly crime games! Why must evil be the best seller? Rethink this. Shift away from the hell on earth.
    Watching the North Koreans march like robots just leaves me wondering what's being done to their minds. They even seem to cry on demand! When will we use our intellectual potential to do much better than that? The power should be with those who use more potential to maximize the goodness of humankind. War has no place in that better world. And perhaps newer political systems will be created to be fair to all?
    I believe in miracles. And I believe we must work for them.

11 comments:

  1. That's a great thought about a software that could help us be smarter, kinder, better people. Maybe someone who knows of such qualities and is a software developer could invent such a game ;-)

    I too don't follow the traditions of man or even the teachings of man. Too many followers of Jesus Christ seem to have given up their powers of intellect and intelligence and too readily follow what "famous" people tell them is the way. Jesus said "I AM, the way and no man comes to the Father but by me".

    So many terrible things have been done in the name of religion, including in the guise of Christianity. My guess is a lot of people will be terribly surprised, and I do mean, terribly, when Jesus Christ returns and says "Get away from me you evil doers. I never knew you." Real Christians need to be on constant alert that the enemy doesn't fool and blind them and cause them to make others stumble in their search for truth. My own self included.

    It's incredible to me to think that a Creator God created all the marvellous in this world, including man. There is a greater purpose. He desires that we know him for he is love and he wants us to show love. I believe in miracles also and I pray that those miracles you believe in will come to pass for you in 2012. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is mind blowing to think that games that simulate killing and domination are best sellers. I've never seen one and hope I never do. We are all brainwashed in one way or another, and it takes courage to step out and speak up. Thank you for being courageous yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a pretty heavy post. It is full of questions and beliefs that we all struggle with at one time or another.

    As a Christian, I don't believe the church is the answer. I believe that Christ is the answer. Unfortunately, His message gets all messed by the church at times. I look for that time when we live as kinder humans also.

    I also was struck by the cult like behavior of the North Koreans. I was reminded of Jim Jones, but to think that such behavior took place on such a grand scale is frightening. I couldn't help but think of Nazi Germany.

    You might enjoy reading the biography of Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas. His life was quite inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sally, this was a very heavy, thought-provoking post! You raised so many questions, and brought some sobering images to mind.

    While I sometimes feel foreign to this crazy world we live in, I know that is partially due to a sort of "head in the sand" approach.

    I haven't seen any of the video games mentioned, (I've never seen a video game!) but I know they are awful from what I've heard folks speak of.

    As a teacher, I am also fearful of each new generation being inundated with violence as the answer to their problems, or worse, the anesthetic belief that life is just a game, and death isn't real. That's scary to me.

    My attempted method of reaching students is to model the Golden Rule, and aim to teach them to think about others, and that there are consequences for their actions.

    And, I pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidrun, I don't think that peace on earth will ever prevail.
    For as long as people feel that their way of life, religion, attitude, is the only valid one, they will be willing to fight the one thinking differently.

    It's human nature. Not very ice, and perhaps I'm a cynic, but just think how easy it is to have a fight in a small community, even a family, and then see this a million times magnified in nations.

    In spite of this, I wish you a happy and peaceful New Year. Perhaps you are right, perhaps miracles do happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Times changed. I think, a lot of people today do not think nor believe religion is for them. They have all but abandoned their former churches and belief system. Perhaps, they have heard once too often about Hell and not enough about Heaven.

    I lost my faith in churches and preachers a long, long time ago. I might get it back but having tried many different ones, I keep wondering why I was not born a Jew? Those are God's Chosen people.

    Here I am born into a family who never kissed their children but did beat the hell out of them. At least my mother did me.

    Who decided to give me life in a protestant family without any connections with religion? Any religion. Nobody asked me if I wanted to be born? Did I have any choices? I wonder if I did or didn't?

    I have always written about it and still think it is true that if you are born into a family of Catholics, then you will be a Catholic and certainly not a Baptist.

    Or, if you are born into a Methodist family, it is extremely unlikely that you will ever become a Catholic. It is extremely hard to become a Democrat if you are born into a family of Republicans.

    I also do not believe in "Free Will" because there are many examples in the Bible where people were made to do things by God. They had no choice. A classic example is Judas.

    If he had not told the Romans who Jesus was, then Jesus, who was sent here by God, to die, would never have been resurrected on the third day and Judas would never felt the need to kill himself.

    Judas had no Free Will. His betrayal of Jesus was settled before Jesus ever met him.

    How about Job? Look at the misery he was put through and he didn't have any choices. It was preordained that he would be put through these situations. Or so I believe.

    I suppose if God Almighty tells Noah to Build an Ark, then Noah builds one. So Noah didn't have any choices. No free will. At least I don't think he did.

    When it comes to religion or beliefs, I usually skip over it and go on but your post was so rich as it was and I must have had a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen the advertisements for the game you mention. It shows killing and violence as almost joyous behavior. I would be horrified if our soldiers behaved that way.
    I agree we need a miricle.
    Thanks for telling me about this blog site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, after a lifetime of study, am a fugitive from religion. Though I've never been Catholic and never been drawn to it, I've seen the harm done in its name to my patients over the years and am not sorry to see it decline. I prefer to think of cathedrals as monuments to man's longing and ingenuity and perseverance; as that, they stand as tall and beautiful as ever.

    Software that makes us better humans? Among my coterie, I'd say Blogger and Wordpress do a rather good job and this post is a fine example of their workings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really heavy, wow. When I was a child, I was told that I was a Lutheran but we never went to church. I would get invited to bible school from this church or that and would go. When I became old enough to catch a ride with someone, I went to church every Sunday, not always the same one. I attended a Catholic school for a semester, went to mass during Lent instead of lunch. I am not of any 'religion', I consider I am many.

    I do believe in miracles, but I also believe we are going down the hill in a hand basket and it is part of God's plan.

    I have seen some of that video game and others like it and I wish they were outlawed. I do play games, I like my wii games for the simple minded and that's all I need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe, too.
    We need some miracles, that is for sure!
    xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a powerful, reflective post to start the new year with. Your last two sentences say it all - I'm with you in both beliefs. May your year be full of smarter, kinder, goodness.

    ReplyDelete