Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Skeptics

Today I found myself feeling a bit like a grain of sand in the sandbox. I played around in the blog comment box. Perhaps I made light of what ought to have been more serious? That's what my intuition seemed to be suggesting. But then I could be wrong.  What are the odds?

I have never been able to think in a very scientific way like Rolli who was excellent at this. He was once the champ in our provincial math and chess competitions. I rarely got high marks. And I certainly could not be a provincial champ. But I tried very hard. He respected that.

I took another look at the study suggested in Robert's post and realized that the stats were too much for me to really comprehend. I failed. But I have decided to take my failure seriously. I read more carefully and slowly till it became clearer. I had missed taking the quiz. However, I must confess I was enjoying the responses that were generated by Robert's comments.

Words are valued in different ways through our sensory system. It is  our intellect that allows us to play around with them to get a response. But can we predetermine a response? What role does reader anticipation play? The variety of comments that are generated by the Dicken's study are worthy of any blogger's attention! Humour, satire, .....
I scored 75% on the quiz after rereading the blog.
Thanks Robert.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Heidi! How are you?

    I find that it is so easy to ramble on in comment boxes and then, like you, when I wander away from them I wonder if I haven't said something I shouldn't or that might be misinterpreted.

    I will occasionally go back and delete something, but then that leaves them wondering even more, doesn't it?

    You've got me curious about the post, that's for sure.

    Kat

    The verification word is "copyrit"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people mischaracterize we Skeptics as being grumpy old men complaining about the world and debunking everything in sight. But Skeptics don't debunk, Rather we
    find a lot of satisfaction in finding the TRUE explanations for what we perceive about our natural world and the conclusions we draw from them.

    The man on whom I filmed my documentary was, like many Skeptics, also a performing magician. Magicians, you see, KNOW how to manipulate perception to intentionally create an incorrect conclusion.

    It is far more important to understand, though, that we should not feel foolish about coming to mistaken conclusions about the world... we were, in fact, designed by evolution with that "skill". The ability to make projections, to discern patterns and come to conclusions are integral to our survival as a species.

    It is not natural, it takes higher consciousness to try to sort out our internal biases to truly understand how the world works. It is not an easy process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert I cannot imagine you as grumpy. I've survived some unusual times, worked out some biases but still don't get science in the scientific way. I just sense it. Does that mean I'm developing AI???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have taken things wrong and left comments that made me say "oops" after. I find that some people don't use any punctuation marks, and when the words run together, it can mean something else. I didn't see the aforementioned comment, so no clue what you did, or didn't write. Don't worry about it. Everyone has different views on practically every subject!

    Hugs to you Heidi! (Even if I am totally clueless)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I aggree with sharons comment. just go on about your business and forget what you wrote. i have had to do that to. one night i wrote something, it was only my opinion, then afterwards kept thinking why did you say that. so i can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, i am back, went to the post and still have no clue why you think you failed. i read both your comments and looks good to me. i thought you wrote a comment you did not like. this is writers stuff and i am NOT a writer so still no clue

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I don't know what's going on but i just stopped to say Hi anyway. Have a grand weekend and I'll be by again. Love and Peace, Manzanita.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kleinste Motte? Smallest Moth?

    How come? I follow Manzanita and saw you there. Now I am very curious about you.

    I don't know what the answer to your question is because I didn't come in on time to hear the back story.

    I hope whatever answer you are looking for, you'll find it.

    Come and look me over, then you'll find out why your blog name intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete