Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ouch

Be warned.
Today as I browsed through my mail I discovered a very unusual piece of spam that got past the google filters. I'm going to share it because I think this is more serious than I first thought. What worries me is all the trouble the scammers went through to make the sites they created look legit; google maps, clocks, world flags and reference to twitter and face book and sound files, video files, etc. They even include wikipedia links.
 Here's why I believe it's a scam. I was asked to become a site administrator of a city, Markham in my case. It's on the outskirts of Toronto. When I googled this site for more info here's what came up;
"Make Markham you site.  (city).vi networks are for hire for a 1 year or more. Manage your city's video site and earn revenues..."
This leads to a link, www.markham.vi . Then on that page another link that leads to " Become a site administrator."
The final piece of info leads to http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/14/online-local-advertising-20-billion/ .
What bothered me was it asked for XX amount $ USD .
But it seemed as though there's something more going on. I'm no scientist but my gut tells me there's something very rotten happening here.
Why are they sending this via my photo blog directly to my gmail? And how was it missed as spam?
The people who set up this craziness have gone to a great deal of trouble to include most cities that have now been added to the GPS mapping system and they are using some sort of tourism.php.
HELP I need to know more. This is not good.
P.S. Type in any city in the place of Markham and you'll get a detailed picture of why I worry.

10 comments:

  1. the best thing to do is delete the spam and don't go to the sites. just like in email, it comes in i delete with opening, any place i don't know, i dont go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely ANYTHING that asks for money in my book is likely to be a scam. I would definitely not visit any of those links and would delete it. Gmail also has a spam button to identify it as spam, which I would also do before I deleted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the same message for my town. TWICE. I deleted it as SPAM. Hopefully, it will not come back. Part of it has to do with google and gmail.

    Gmail and google hones in on your account and send advertisements, etc. to you based on context in your email.

    Nothing on the internet is EVER really private!

    Something kids learn using FaceBook, and something we all should learn.

    Not only identify it as SPAM, but also delete your SPAM messages.

    Google is not innocent in all of this SPAM nonsense. It is how they make their money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heidi!

    Spam has really gotten out of hand, so many get your email acct from listing your email on your info page. I put mine up when I was trying to find a home for DC and the spammer were on me like white on rice. Now I am on so many spam lists, it's nuts! Oh, I took it off as soon as I noticed the spam, but the spam keeps on rolling in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try not to open anything but I really doubt if we're ever safe as long as we're on line.
    Love and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have received this very same contact as well. I am always suspicious when anyone would offer me, a complete stranger, an opportunity. If there was an opportunity that was too good to fail, you can be sure I would be the LAST one anyone would want to share it with.

    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the alert. I hate spam and sneaky spammers are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't open any email if I don't know what it is or who it is from. If I miss something it is better than letting something attach itself to my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would delete this mail. Goggle never asks for money. Actually you should turn this over to Google and let them check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spam can be really annoying - and scary. Delete, delete, delete!

    ReplyDelete