Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sticky Stormy yet Safe

 On the last day of July we loaded our packed bags into the car to head to Buffalo, New York. There we would take a JetBlue flight to JFK. We wanted to have plenty of time to cross at the USA boarder in order to arrive at the airport with lots of time to clear security which can be a challenge with Buddy since he takes his time when he has to remove shoes and belt.

The drive from Richmond Hill to Fort Erie didn't take hubby very long. He appeared to have a heavy foot on his gas pedal so we arrived at Buffalo International Airport with time to spare. And we used that time for a late lunch. Boarding time was to be 4:55pm. 

  At the gate we learned that our plane was slightly delayed. No big deal. We just sat and watched other planes. And then ours pulled into the sleeve. As those arriving slipped past the checkin counter, we figured we'd be aboard shortly. Buddy sat patiently for his turn. He loves to travel so waiting is just fine with him.

   The PA came on informing us it would be a while longer before we could get to our seats. By 5:30pm we were finally climbing into our spots. It was a larger jet with rows of ten seats across. It filled up. We had boarded. The captain announced that the cabin doors would be closed shortly and we would be in queue for take off shortly. Ha!
  His next announcements came moments after the doors were sealed. We were no longer cleared to leave because of severe storms on route. Now we there sat in our seats passing the time listening to our music and playing games. We waited and waited inside the cabin. After a while water was offered. It was hot, sticky and smelly inside this vessel.
    Around at 7:35pm the captain informed us that he had been given a new flight path and that we'd be off as soon as some more fuel was added. Finally at 7:55pm we rolled onto the runway for take off. It was smooth, swift and soon we were cruising towards New York City. It would only take 55 minutes.
   By 8:20pm our captain was telling us that he was preparing to descend, adding that he was happy to have given us such fast and safer approach to one of the countries busier airports. We touch down at 8:55. 
    By 9:15pm, our bags in tow, we headed out to the passenger pick up area. Exiting through the huge revolving door, we found ourselves pushed back by the smack of heavy, hot humid air.
   Greeted by our niece there were the usual HUGS and then off we drove to the Bayside area to our hotel. Once checked in, our family visit was just beginning. From there we had to head into Queens for dinner with everyone who had waited so patiently for our safe arrival! 

PS. We could have driven to New York City in that amount of time. We had chosen to fly because we had hoped it would be quicker!


  1. Dear Heidi,
    This seems to be the norm now for flights.
    My daughter went to Atlantic City (1-1/2 hour drive from us), spent the night, the next day went to the AC Airport to fly to Boston. The plane was due to depart at 11:00. It was delayed until 12:45 because of the storms, and then it was delayed until 2:30. She arrived in Boston around 3:30.

    The entire day wasted. She could have driven to Boston in 6 hours.

    Oh the Wright Brothers would be so disappointed!

  2. BTW, I love hearing from you when I haven't heard from you in so long!

  3. someone asked me once why i did not fly to Savannah from here to visit my parents. the answer is the same as your story. an hour to the airport, flight to Atlanta, 2 hour layover, fy to Savannah, one hour into the city, takes about 7 hours. we can drive it in less than 6 so why bother. tell buddy he looks great and so handsome sitting there waiting.

  4. This is why I don't like to fly any more. It's ridiculously inefficient, it seems like always. Glad it wasn't worse! I've heard stories that make this seem tame.

  5. I'm in total agreement with DJan! Unless it's a long, cross country or international flight, they hardly seem worth it!

    I know the delays are for our safety (I certainly wouldn't want to be up there bouncing around during a thunder storm!) but it does seem ridiculous at times! We had a long, five hour wait, in Chicago coming home a few weeks ago, due to storms!

  6. Dear Heidrun, and this is another example of "the best laid plans" oft going astray. I hope your family visit is a lovely one. Peace.

  7. Oh, the irony! Glad you made it safely, despite the delays!