Saturday, August 27, 2011

Peach Time

In August of 1955 my father drove us to Niagara Falls in his newly acquired VW bug. It was a family outing to admire and enjoy the peach harvest. We would do this every year from that time on until my dad's sudden death the night after the final trip for him. Yet to this day that tradition has been carried on into the next generations. We regularly head towards Niagara in late August or early September and will be going again. This photo shows me as I enjoy very juicy peach. I still remember that first time.
The peaches bought locally always taste so much better. We will purchase several baskets and enjoy the bounty. There are many tasty ways to enjoy the fruit. I shall bake a cheese cake topped with peaches and streusel in the style of my mom's, a favourite of my dad and now my hubby. Buddy likes it too. 

10 comments:

  1. Those family rituals bring a great sense of continuance and belonging. That little girl is very sweet and quite clearly enjoying her peach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cheese cake sound wonderful. Hope you have a safe trip when you go.
    My word verification was forripe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, you will have to give me your recipe for streusel. I had so many peaches from peach tree. Did you see my cobbler on my blog? Peaches from the Farmer's market are so awesome! I am very lucky to live near the Garden State, New Jersey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heidi!
    Such fond memories and keeping the tradition going is wonderful. You were a cutie! I love fresh peaches and don't mind if I have juice running down my arm, lol!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sweet, juicy peaches. Sometimes one that looks great, however, will disappoint me. So far this year, I haven't found "the peach." Have safe travels and let me know how it goes... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you were soooo cute. and I love peaches since I am consider a Georgia Peach because I was born in Georgia where the USA gets their peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful photo. And peaches... YUM! They're so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peaches are particularly good sliced and with vanilla ice cream. mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ripe fruit fresly picked is the best. I am not sure I have ever enjoyed a fresh ripe peach picked from the tree, but I want too. Your post is making me drool like an old dog.
    Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO enjoying these peeks into your past! Such lovely memories, super pictures to show us and right now, you have me drooling at the thought of baked cheesecake topped with peaches and streusel!

    ReplyDelete