Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fear

There is much in the media these days that has me wondering if the new social networking will help bring about the democratic change that some are hoping for. With the uprises in the Arab nations lately, I wonder if much thought of how to achieve it was at the heart of it? Having been held at gun point by a Saudi, I can tell you first hand that fear is powerful. I did not fight back. I submitted to the man with the weapon.

There are many images of mostly men in the streets. As the revolution unfolds I hear talk of "our sons" from the Arab speakers. Are there no daughters? Why do we see mostly men in the demonstrations? Are the women afraid? Or are they forbidden by their family leaders from protesting for freedom? My guess is that fear has made them submit.

Too bad. If only there were as many women as men. That would really be revolutionary. Fear has no place in this revolution. Brave women are necessary. Will they overcome their fear and join in? Then maybe it might be less brutal?

9 comments:

  1. I am afraid that we are not seeing or understanding the real reason behind what is occuring. It is a culture that goes waaaaaay back and does not seem to have changed a bit. I think it is a very barbaric culture, especially towards women. I think the young people with the help of internet and cell phones have seen the freedoms of other young people around the world and are fed up.Hopefully this will all settle soon with out major disruption to the rest of the world. This could get very serious quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very scary time for many of us. I hope it all works out in the end, but who knows what kind of upheaval is ahead? I am afraid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deep subject, considering the customs for generations and generations. I think there is a real hot bed happening there and IMO none of our business, by our I mean the U.S. armed forced and the government.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like DJan, I have a bad feeling about what is yet to come in Egypt. The protesters are brave indeed but unfortunately they do not have the power the dictator has.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In some TV coverage I have seen women participating in the protests, though mostly behind the scenes. If the political change becomes more liberal, likely women will become more prominent in the process. But if it turns more religious/Islamic, women could find themselves being pushed back as they are in Afghanistan and other repressive Islamist states.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a serious situation and needs settled as soon as possible. These third world countries become upset with their government and it is hard to settle them down. It is because they are not treated fair and the corrupt government don't have a clue how to handle them correctly. It is not right to spray them with tear gas or water. Thank you for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen first hand how men dominate life in Egypt. Even professional women submit to societal pressures. However, it was heartening to see a few women among the protestors in Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of the footage I saw clearly showed women in traditional dress, a fact which I interpreted to mean this really was a rallying of the people. I do not even pretend to be knowledgeable of life in Arab countries and tend to mistrust much of what we see or hear on our news. Still, it seems an enormous shift is taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Food for thought. I wonder if they are showing us just what we want to see? And not how it really is?

    ReplyDelete