Saturday, June 30, 2018

Power Wars

   As I worked on my other blog on my iPad I noticed how it is not as responsive to my wishes in the blog template and I started reading up on the changes Google is gradually implementing. I read that one could make a copy of all things Google using Google takeout. I was keen to learn more. 
   After watching multiple videos and reading all sorts of techie articles not one could offer me a clear answer of how to do this if one was not using Office so I am not very happy.
   Instead the searches led me back to the notion that I could post on Apple News and that just makes me more upset. The bigger Google and Apple get the more we are pushed to do as they feel will be best for us.
   I became a blooger years ago to help me recover from life‘s curveballs; cancer and a house fire. I had to struggle to find followers but slowly my tiny group of friends grew. Their comments were inspirational and I still cherish them but I find Google is messing up our little group. Comments no longer go to email inboxes. Posting comments often require several hoops to get there. And Google claims it is all to improve everyone‘s experience and online safety.
   I seem to disagree. The more I Google these days the more I get pushed into my own neighbourhood and the global aspect of searches are disappearing. It seems like IT has narrowed us down to GPS and the force of marketing to us is now a tool to recon with. What kind of freedom is left when we are forced by technology that thinks for us and makes us believe it will be a better life?
   Wait till there are power outage wars. 

P.S. When the power is off the house is very quiet. 
There was a POP noise in the walls when I hit the publish button! WiFi is the cause. 

7 comments:

  1. We may have to go back to meeting on front porches. But then you and I would not be having this conversation because I live very far away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been complaining about Blogger for the past couple of months... They just decided --without telling us of course, that they wanted to get rid of all emails.... NOW---2 months later, I am beginning to get some emails but only from the people that I had chosen to "Follow by Email"... I get their blog posts now in my email. HOWEVER, I am not getting all of them so I assume that Blogger made a decision to choose the people for me (leaving out many others for who knows what reason)..... AND---even though some bloggers have found ways to get blog comments via email, I heard someone say that Blogger is not going to send blog comments to our email anymore.... Makes NO sense.... So this is progress?????? I think not.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. the problens are cause by the new laws in Europe. to fix your comments so they come into your emails like they used to is simple. I will send email on how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having trouble commenting on my wordpress friends blogs as of yesterday … can smile at them via my avatar pic but commenting is a no go … I really like the first comment … ya … let's meet on our front porches again … you and Buddy and me … smiles … Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is distressing to some, but we must keep finding ways to connect. You have changed my life in many ways, large and small, and I need to have you in my life, dear Heidi. I am sitting in my bed with my laptop sitting on the platform that protects me from its radiation. You suggested it. And there are other things not coming to me right this minute. Please post any and all fixes you come across. Sending you and Buddy my best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Heidrun, like DJan, I would so miss your blog is it disappeared. I've learned so much from you. Your patience and your search for knowledge have always inspired me. I trust that you will pass on any info you get about all these changes, which come, willy-nilly. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed reading your posts for many years and then via some foul-up with the powers that be, I lost all references to you and your interesting blog. I went to Facebook and long time ago, now, and made a lot of posts there over the years but it is more like twitter than BlogSpot. I had been looking back at BlogSpot and found where I had tried to get into it again and made some posts but stopped again and went back to
    Facebook. The reason why was because I have had followers there but seem to have lost what I once had at Blogger. Honestly, I had just stopped posting on Facebook but put up a post on my dog's Facebook page. If you get this, then I will be able to show and tell you more about all the things I have done since we last posted.

    ReplyDelete