Sunday, April 8, 2012

EASTER Remembered

  Last month I found one of my paternal aunt's handcrafted tablecloths in one of the many boxes that I continue to sort through whenever I am up to it. Though the boxes were sent to us in mid-summer of 2010, there being over 375 of them ,the task is a seemingly endless one. Nothing is in any order. Kitchen items mixed with master bedroom ones in a box labeled east bedroom or library make the sorting a frustrating challenge. Moreover it has become a good time to purge. Much of what the cleaners reclaimed or restored from the fire has been duplicated or has lost it's usefulness for us. Time has passed so we must get rid of the excess. But there remain items that carry an emotional attachment, a personal value. Those are sought out and set aside. They will be carried into the future.
   For this current season I've put her favourite piece on our table. It brings smiles when we care to revisit Easter times with her. Gertrud always made Easter Sunday very special for each of us. There was always some home baked yeast cake or bread and some coloured, decorated hard boiled eggs. And she would give the youngsters chocolate bunnies in baskets she handcrafted and hid in her place. She knew how to get the family to share time with her on her terms. Her affection was clearly there for those who wanted to be with her.
  At her home there would be fresh cut flowers often with pussy willows on her table. She did this each year. As she aged I helped her set these up. She loved 'her' Easter. I loved her for it and for much more.
 We have pansies and pussy willows in planters outside by our front door. Carnations and a tiny orchid sit on her favourite table covering in our kitchen area. And the coloured eggs and bunnies were also remembered. Buddy made sure of that! Home made cake is almost ready for tonight's family dinner in our home. And in UK our daughter brought auntie's version of this time of celebration to her new family. There were hidden baskets for them. For her there was a chocolate eggs with her name on it, a first for her and then dinner with new relatives.
  So as we are carry on her tradition remembering her in our own way I wonder if you have special items or recollections of loved ones?
 Have a very happy weekend and here's hoping that you are able to be with those dear to you. 

3 comments:

  1. Mostly what I remember about Easter is the huge dinners mom would make with love. Also even earlier memories of us kids colouring Easter eggs and then also getting gigantic chocolate eggs. I can't remember who hid the coloured eggs for us to hunt for later but I imagine it must have been my parents. I hope you had a happy weekend to go with your good memories. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Easter recollections are always about pretty dresses for my sister and me. We were not churchgoers, so I don't think we did more than dress up and go to public Easter events. I didn't even know the story until I was grown. I do have some items from my ancestors than mean a great deal to me: a crystal bowl with silver trim, a picture of me as a baby in my mother's arms that was painted by my grandmother. Happy Easter, Heidrun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a lovely Easter. I miss pussywillow! It's been a while since I've seen it - not sure they have it here in the UK?

    ReplyDelete