Thursday, December 23, 2010

An Unusual Christmas Story (Part6)

  I woke up to the ring of the telephone. Before answering it I glanced at the clock radio. It was 8:32 a.m. and I noticed Buddy was keeping my toddler busy at the desk with nothing on. "Ugh" I thought. Wonder if our clothes have dried? And then I answered the phone. It was an unfamiliar male voice asking me if I was Mrs. H.K? My heart sank as I speculated that this was the dreaded call that hubby was not okay. Instead the person identified himself as the clerk to our ambassador in Riyadh. He asked me if I would be able to take a call from the ambassador within the next half hour. My response was yes. I took the clothes from the bathroom and proceeded to get us dressed. Everything was still damp but it had to do. I put the baby back into the playpen with her juice just as the phone rang. I was a bit nervous because I had absolutely no idea what how to deal with a dignitary. I picked up the phone.
  "Hello, this is Mrs. K. To whom am I speaking?"
It was him. He asked me how I was and began to apologize for having no idea about my situation. He said he would speak with his staff in Jedda to ensure that in future they contact him with the details of any Canadian making an effort to get help at the Jedda office. Then he told me that I would be contacted within the hour by another gentleman who was in a position to assist my family. His name was Mr. M. He said he would keep in touch with Mr. M to ensure all worked out for us. I thanked him. I felt heard at last.
  While we were eating our breakfast the phone rang again. It was Mr. M. He knew were I was staying and said the he and his wife would be there shortly. Then his wife spoke to me to reassure me they had a place for us. They knew things had been very tough for me. I thanked her for coming to our aid.  Quickly I  began to pack whatever toys we had with us. In less than twenty minutes the lobby rang to ask if they were permitted to send A Mr. and Mrs. M up to the room!! Without hesitation I said yes. I had no idea where I was headed but I was going. My hosts were Canadians so I hoped for the best an then came a knock at our door.
   I opened it. Except to introduce themselves by their first names they came right in, asked who was who and said they were ready to take us right away if it was okay. Definitely. So they each took a child and handbags. I carried the baby in her Snuggly. We headed for the lobby. At the reception, the airline had already informed the management that I was transferring into the care of someone through the Embassy. And they were given my new address by Mr. M.And then he loaded us into their car.
   Nan told me that we were heading to the Bell Canada compound where they were stationed with their family, two sons. Doug was the head of the operation and was well connected with the local authorities, customs and issues. Wow! Had someone read my mind?? My hope was answered.
   It was very warm and our damp clothes were dried by the time we reached the gate, the security entrance to this compound. We drove down a road that led into what looked like a small subdivision. There were single bungalows, townhouses and several three story apartment buildings all surrounded by lovely landscaping. There were special covered car ports for those who had one and there was a minivan bus for those who did not. I had never seen anything like this. I saw ladies walking around freely in western dress. I smiled. It must be a safe place.
  Doug dropped Nan and us off in front of their bungalow. He joined us briefly before heading back to his office and assured us he would be back by 3:30p.m. Then I could visit hubby.
   Nan took over. After two calls to her friends, they arrived. And as I sat on the couch marvelling at the Christmas cookies they had brought, they began to talk It seems they had preplanned this event for me.  Everyone was told I needed time out to restore my strength. They had decided for that the next two days, Buddy would stay at Nan's to be with her boys, my toddler would stay with a neighbour who had a playmate the same age and baby would go to the friend who had baby things. I would be set up in a one apartment that had just been vacated and was available for two weeks. I agreed and I removed baby from the Snuggly and handed her over.
  Nan took me along with a few snack foods to my temporary place. The apartment was on the third floor. It was nice, a pullout sofa in the living room and a dining area next to it, both right by a small but well equipped kitchenette. The bathroom was next to small bedroom furnished with a wardrobe and a double bed, a night table at it's side. All areas had ceiling fans and AC. Though it was winter for the locals, the daytime temperature reached 25C, cold for the locals who wore winter sweaters, but balmy and nice for us. Nan showed me where to find the phone. Their system resembled the kind you find in hotels. One can dial house to house by an extension system. She gave me theirs and told me to rest now. She would be back later. I not to worry about the kids. Here it was standard practice for ladies to help each other out every day and in my case an added two nights. She smiled, handed me a key and left.
   It was December 9th. We had left on the 3rd. It had been a very crazy few days and now I had a moment of real me time. I turned on the TV and tried to relax. In no time I found myself crawling int bed.  It was dark when I awoke. I walked out to the kitchen and saw that there was a small casserole on the counter and salad and fruit in the fridge. On the sofa were several outfits of clothes in my size. There was even a bathing suit so there must be a pool.  I called Nan to thank her for all the charity and hospitality. After nibbling a bit on some of the goodies, I showered and changed into fresh clothes. It felt so good. Though I had planned to stroll over to Nan's I made my way back to bed. I slept and slept till I heard the phone rang. Nan wondered if I was ready for some lunch since I had slept right through breakfast. Yes was my response. For now I didn't want their help to end. I felt so very grateful.
But this story does not end here.

13 comments:

  1. Aah, rest at last! That had to be the most welcome thing after so much worry and little sleep.

    Are you going to make a book out of this? Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How great at last to have help, and sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan and her friends sound like angels. You must have felt as though a huge weight had been lifted from your shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling the tension leave my shoulders as I read this last installment. Hoping it only continues to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like most stories, this one goes on. Thanks Kleinstelmotte.

    Christmas is a time when extraordinary things tend to happen.

    I hope this one is a good one - a better one - for you. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. an incredible 7 days, i wonder if i could have held up like you did. this story is almost beyond beleif to me. it made me happy to know you found friens so far from home. merry christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story! I am hopeful that it has a happy ending, which I won't know until the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope it don't end here, I am so interested. So glad to see the Canadians finally arrived. It was good to hear you got some rest. I am praying for hubby and you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Through the help of wonderful people you got your much needed rest and the kids were taken care of. You had to be strong when you see your husband.
    Manzanita

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am exhausted reliving your experiences from that fateful December through six posts now. The story is amazing and frightening -- and now that you have found friends I can only hope that your luck will continue to improve.

    Thank you so much for sharing this -- and I can't wait to read the rest.

    I hope that this past Christmas was wonderful for you and wish for a most fulfilling new year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must have been exhausted! I'm glad this incredible story has taken a turn for the best. Hats off to Nan and her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank goodness your angels arrived just in time. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete