Sunday, September 17, 2017

Hannover Time

   September brought about a new direction in my life. Hurricane Irma forced a Florida family wedding to be cancelled. It was to happened on September 15 and 16  off the mainland in North Captiva. But it seems a higher power had a different plan in mind for me. A few weeks earlier my 96 year old aunt took another tumble and this time she had several fractures needing surgery and later rehab. She was in hospital much of August once well enough to return to her seniors residence where all levels of care are available she returned and insisted she wanted only to live in her own apartment. So my sister arranged care for her as requested. After a week there auntie called my sister who is her POA for health bidding her to please come to Hannover asap. My sister had planned a fall visit but yielded and was with her beginning September 6.
During that week's visit  my aunt made it clear she wanted no further life. She wanted all to end. So my sister arranged for different level of care for her that would require hourly nurse visits in her own place and she arranged for a person to come twice daily for half hour stays.just for suppoort during that time. Auntie opted not to eat or drink anymore. The doctors told my sister how auntie would slowly decline. On September 11 sister flew back to Canada emotionally drained.
On September 12 I left Canada for Hannover. My daughter decided to join me. So I am typing this post from auntie's place. I hear her breathing still fairly strongly but she is semi concious now.
    Over the weekend my daughter from UK and her hubby and little one joined us. But since auntie is not fully  concious we took time out this Sunday afternoon to visit the Hannover Zoo as it seems to have a good reputation and the weather was fine. Grandbaby got a bit fussy now and again with molars coming in  but we all generally had a happy time.
   That is until I had a scare. You may know my vision is poor. My left eye has great pin hole vision but no periferal. That can lead to issues like bumping into object or even people. But today I was to experience a mini trauma. As I moved to my left from a fruit sampling station at a farmer's market at the farm animal part of the zoo somehow I managed to walk straight into a baby pram , losing my balance slighrly so that my face was next to baby's in the pram! The mother began to utter unkind words about not paying attention to where I was going and I in my shock muttered I'm soooo sorry but I cannot see well as I started to sob fearing my big body might have hurt baby. The baby was actually laughing while the mother was trying to console me. I really had a meltdown. But as one must, I pulled myself back together and searched for my family who had long moved on and missed the whole episode. Once reunited as I told them about my fright the father and pram rolled by and again they assured me all is well. I am glad they were so kind and understanding and no serious damage happened to anyone of us.
   I am staying in Hannover till September 19. UK family left 3 hours ago. Let us see what happens next
Church visit in Celle, Stadtkirche St.Marien on September 15. Maybe I'll photo blog about that ?

P.S. Auntie pssed away peacefully today early on September 18.
Visit my other blog and see.



4 comments:

  1. Wow, your family has really had Murphy on your backs, haven't they? I'm sure that messed with your nerves, landing in a baby buggy! I hope thing simmer down and life can get back to normal for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about the troubles you've been having with the hurricane cancellation of the wedding, the aunt doing poorly and your fright with the fall. I am so glad that both you and your sister were able to be with your aunt and honour her last wishes. I know it isn't easy and especially when you all live so far away from one another. You truly have a global family with relatives all around the globe. I'm glad you and baby were not hurt in your fall. I'm sure you were rattled as I know it would rattle me too to fall into a baby's pram and the fright that comes with worry that the baby has been hurt. What a relief to know baby was okay. Last, but not least, I send you and your family my deepest sympathies on the loss of your aunt. It seems she lived a very long life and was ready to go. She was able to go on her terms and I hope she is now somewhere enjoying a life free of pains and worries. Hugs to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that the pram incident turned out to be all right, except for the trauma you experienced over it. I'm so sorry, and I know how it is not to be able to see well, being incredibly nearsighted and almost blind without my glasses. Glad that your auntie was able to make her own decisions and to finally leave on her own terms. But it's still sad. Thank you for the update and I hope you travel home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Tripping over a pram must have been awful. So glad that you or baby didn't have any injuries. Take care and I hope October brings better days for you. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete