Monday, July 4, 2016

Baby Brings Hope

On July 1 it is Canada Day in our country. This year that date took on a whole new dimension for our family as it is now also the birthday of our granddaughter.  Being here in the UK for her delivery was quite an experience. What started off as a routine delivery got a bit more challenging when baby decided to tilt her head up into a star gazing position making it a 2 cm  larger head circumference. Midwife went and got the doctor to see what could be done. With skilled hands the doctor gently turned baby's head to the right position but that brought a slow down in contractions- so hormones were added by a drip until things were upto speed. The team then finished the delivery. Baby's head revealed lots of black hair and then came a long slender body fitting for this wee tyke. There was only one loud scream as she took her first breath and then she settled into nurse's brief clean up centre before her new father got to hold her and then mother and grandma.
Each time a new life comes into our world it feels so miraculous. This baby is one of the fortunate ones as it is born into a seemingly safe environment for now.
For me holding her right in the delivery room was a moment of joy but also a painful realization that in 8 days I'll be 70 and our time together will be special but shorter.
And already it is July 4 and for many of you it is your nation's birthday.
Let's hope the future is not as gloomy as it feels currently for the UK and the US.

PS  Buddy has seen his niece over Facetime and loves that he is her uncle.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations to everyone on the new baby girl! I was beginning to think she had changed her mind. Sounds like some tense moments in the delivery room. Happy to hear it turned out well and now you have a baby to hold for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comgratulations on your new grandbaby, Heidrun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations on the new birth and becoming a grandmother, and congrats to Buddy on becoming an Uncle... how much did she weigh and do we have a name or can you share it? i know some do not want info shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful experience for you to welcome your new grandchild into the world.
    As much as there is to fear in this world, it is still the best of times compared to some past eras. Love and enjoy your new grandbaby and set gloomy thoughts aside. Life is better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you, Heidi, congratulations! Canada Day here in Montreal was wonderful, nice weather and quiet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to you and proud parents. Grands truly are grand. I, too, am nearing 70. It does prod one to savor every precious second with loved ones, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulation to the new little life! And being born on Canada Day is very special. Glad to know that eventually it all turned out just right. I'll bet you are ready to come home, and I know Buddy is happy you'll be home soon. I am 73, and I know just how you feel. Hope your birthday is a good one, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to the new family and most of all Grandma. Nothing like a new baby to brighten things up. Hope all is going well for everyone, tell Buddy I said hello. Everything about the same here in Ohio. We've been having lot of hot weather and humidity. Yesterday we had a downpour which I got caught in, even my hair was dripping wet. But these things do and did dry. We needed the rain badly. Again, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated Birthday, also I didn't see what name they picked for the baby. Talking about age, this coming Oct. I will be 80, I still find that so hard to believe. Abe will be 82 in Oct. Our Birthdays are two days apart. Our oldest daughter turned 60 on June 1, son 59, on May 10, another daughter 58 July 5, one daughter 54 Mar 7 and the last a daughter turned 43 on June 26. We do have 5 grandchildren, three are old enough to be married and have some babies of their own, but they don't seemed interested. Take care, hope you've been doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am behind in reading blogs but I went back and read your back posts. I am also very sorry that the UK decided to leave Europe – I hope it will turn out OK for them. Belated congratulations to you and your family for the birth of your granddaughter, and on such a festive day. I hope you had a great stay with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Heidi! How wonderful to hold your brand-new baby granddaughter right in the delivery room!! Things have come a long long way since we were having our own babies!

    70? Pshaaa - that's the new 60 or 50 or something. I have friends in their 70's who horseback ride and play tennis almost every day! I don't, but I look up to them as shining examples of ladies who thumb their noses at Age.

    You are as young as you feel and hopefully you'll have many many years to enjoy with your grandchildren!

    Such a happy post - so nice to read this, Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've wondered over the years where you live. I'm 67, live in Oregon, and share your enjoyment of Yanni. My wife is a major fan of his, and we had the pleasure of hearing him (and his “kids” as he calls them” perform outdoors with a full moon over his head. I was sorry to hear (on “Sightings Over Sixty) about your spouse’s memory lapses and behavioral changes. Drugs can certainly account for it as they’ve done for me at times. I’ve done things that I didn’t remember doing, gotten lost in places that I knew well, and acted in ways that were completely out of character for me.

    ReplyDelete