Sunday, August 30, 2015

A FUTURE WITH DRONES

   It was a week ago that I watched a documentary about drones and how popular they were becoming. That same eve during the news broadcast it was pointed out the a local airport had logged over 700 near misses of airplanes finding drones in their airspace. Shocking!
  Next I went to a Best Buy site to see what options are out there to purchase a drone. The list was vast and so were the price tags. The higher range was around $1600 and the lower was $199 making them very affordable and accessable.
   I then went to You Tube to find out more about how to control and fly a drone. There I found a wealth of information. An iPad with cellular capability enabled can download an app making it the drone remote controller. Likely the same app is available for a smart cellphone since the drones all use the cellular 3G/4LTE network and GPS to move about.
   While various drones are now being used by hobbyists and news media photographers to capture cool images remotely there is something not so great lurking around the corner as the drones get into more people's hands. EVIL.
   There are many street gangs with many agends lurking about in towns and cities. What use they may make of this latest technology at their disposal is up and coming and it is probably not of much benefit to the common good of the population. Dromes can be used to carry a small payload besides being a photographic tool. Poachers have already used them. Other uses? Dare to imaine?
   No rules or regulations were put into place prior to the small drones being put on sale for the public to purchase. Since these devices use airspace to move about should they not be carefully regulated like hobby airplanes are?? 
   I believe that rules right now are a must because a future with unreguated use of drones poses a serious possible hazard on several levels for all life forms. 

10 comments:

  1. I heard a news story recently about a drone that hit a plane, or almost hit it. The pilot had to do an emergency landing. Seems like there should be more rules about where and when they can fly. Imagine one outside a home or hovering by a window. It's too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a practical use for them except for the military to spy and then I'm leery of them in airspace. Maybe to deposit birdseed in my feeders - but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, regulations are a must, and fast. Just imagine all those crazy automobile drivers one day piloting drones -- racing against one another, playing chicken, buzzing your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they should only be sold to people with a permit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! I cannot imagine why there hasn't been more outcry over drones in air space as well as privacy issues. It will all change when something awful happens, but why are we waiting until then?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I expect the laws will catch up in short order. So much new technology has such an impact, and no one really knows ahead of time exactly what that will look like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good afternoon, Hope all is well at your house. We're about the same here. Getting older and more aches and pains.

    I agree, drones are not necessary for anyone to have. Except perhaps the military, then I even wonder if they need them. There is so much evil in the world at the moment and believe me, someone could easily turn a drone into something very evil.

    Hope your eyesight isn't getting any worse. Hope buddy and your husband are doing well and also your daughters.

    I had my mammogram last week and got my letter saying everything seems to be just fine. Always glad to hear that. Breakfast and lunch time are over, dishes are done and drying in the dish rack, I don't have a dish washer, never really wanted me. When we have a family get together I use paper plates, that only leaves silverware and glasses to wash up. Try to do the pots and pans as I dirty them. I also try to make items ahead that can be refrigerated, that way I can get those items washed up also.

    I'm doing better, got over the shingles I has in March and pneumonia I had in May. It's been about a year and four months since my Mother died as a result of a car accident, my younger brother was driving and failed to yield at a stop sign, passenger side was hit full force. Mom lived two days in ICU, but there was no way at 91 she could survive. Every evening I still think, have to call Mom, and then remember no, not any longer, she's not there. I missed that terribly for the first year, but each month it gets better. Mom was only 13 years older then me, so I always felt like I was catching up with her in age and felt more like sisters then Mom & Daughter.

    Like the saying, A Mother is someone who can take the place of all others, but whose place no one else can take. That is so true.

    Sorry for such a long comment, but I know I owed you and e-mail and never got one sent to you, so this is the next best thing. Take care and have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drones for all, I can’t believe it. Just think what a drone in a nasty person’s hands can do like spy on neighbours; the potential for blackmail is enormous, not to think of the danger of the things in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just popping in to say hello - time sure flies! Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Heidrun, the ready availability of drones frightens me. In the hands of the unscrupulous, they could do real damage/harm to others. It's like those LED lights that some people are flashing at airplanes. They could cause a horrible plane crash with loss of life. I don't begin to understand those who left the darkness within us harm others. Peace.

    ReplyDelete