Wednesday, December 8, 2010

THE GOOF



I lived in the BEACH district of Toronto. It was the first neighbourhood I was introduced to as a young immigrant child. In the mid '50's my dad would sometimes treat us to a meal away from home. We would walk along the boardwalk to get to this place, Garden Gate on Queen Street. If you want to see a picture of it just type 'goof' into wikipedia. It's nickname was created from a sign that says 'Good Food'. Really! And it's still there today.
This is for the poetry bus at Kat Mortensen blog.


The Goof
Garden Gate for pie, Garden Gate for pie,
If I can't get there I think I'm gonna cry.
Take away my Audi , take away my tie,
But don't take away my Garden Gate pie.


Garden Gate foo yung, Garden Gate foo yung. 
If I don't get some I'll bite upon my tongue.
Take away my cottage, take away my song,
But don't take away my Garden Gate foo yung.


Garden Gate chow mein, Garden Gate chow mein,
If I can't get some I'm gonna be a pain.
Take away my chalet, take away my train,
But don't take away my Garden Gate chow mein.

I used the pattern from Dennis Lee's 'Alligator Pie'  poems.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this, Heidi! It was funny and evocative and you made me so hungry for pie!

    Thank you for taking part. I was surprised and delighted to see that you had.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I best be heading to the GOOF to give them a copy of this delightful set of verse and take some snaps while Im there. They could make an interesting phot op!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a fun post! I've got that happy beat in my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a goof i could like, since i suffer from food addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There, Looks like the Garden Gate is a great restaurant... Glad you have so many great memories about it... I'll have to type in Goof on Wikipedia.... Neat Nickname.

    I love the poem also... Makes me hungry for some PIE (or Chow Mein).....

    Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete